First engine casting!

Well finally, i’ve made a successful casting of the engine piston! Seven more to go.

IMG_7362[1] IMG_7363[1]

So it looks a bit rough and weird as is, but next up is a bit of lathe work, and i’ll be doing what i described in the previous post. Plus, i’ll polish the surfaces and buff them to make it flat and neat. This process repeats 7 times, and i have all the pistons in my engine. And the pistons are one of the major parts, besides the crankshaft and engine block / cylinder heads, this requires most material for a single part. So when i finish all the pistons, next on the menu is an engine block. Like flat engines and boxer engines, it’ll be a two part block, so two halfs you bolt together. That’s much better for me because i’m using expensive molding sand for casting. When i’m done with the block i’ll go on to the crankshaft, made from steel. But lets not get ahead of ourselves, we have some pistons to make. A few words on the engine block, i’ll need a lot more than just aluminum cans to gather material for it, and i’ll need a bigger furnace. I think i’ll need to buy some aluminum, or if i find enough scrap aluminum. I’ll make the main sand mold from the usual molding sand i bought, mixed with special oil. The sand cores, which make up the inside cavities of the block, will be made by using that same sand and mixing sodium silicate, and then harden it using CO2 gas. I still need to figure out how to make the larger furnace. i haven’t quite gotten to that part. But my next job is to machine the piston into its final shape, and then make 7 more.